Consider joining Walk MS 2012 and show your support at one of the northern California Walk MS dates. There are walks in East Bay, Eureka, Yuba City, Monterey, Santa Rosa, Walnut Creek, Folson, Modesto, San Jose, Solano County, Sacramento, and San Francisco. Look here, to learn more information about the each event. You can join a team, create your own, or even donate to the cause if you are able.
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a disease that affects the central nervous system and is thought o be an autoimmune disease. MS affects around 400,000 people in the United States. Most people are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50 and women are twice as likely to suffer from it than men. Each case of MS is different, but some symptoms can include: numbness in the arms or legs, pain, loss of vision, muscle weakness or tremors, paralysis, vertigo, fatigue, difficulty with speech, bladder dysfunction, depression, hearing loss, and itching.
If you train for a walk/run you will receive health benefit of your own. Here are some benefits of walking/running:
- Running burns more calories in less time than almost any other continuous exercise.
- A regular running or walking program lowers your risk of life-threatening maladies such as heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- Walking is a low-impact exercise that produces less stress on the knees and joints than many other activities do.
- Both walking and running produce endorphins, brain chemicals that make you feel happy and confident.
- Both are social activities-you can run or walk with a friend, your kids, or even strangers in a race.