WHAT ARE THE LEADING CAUSES OF TRUCK ACCIDENTS?
Throughout the years, the frequency of truck accidents has been on the rise. In fact, over the past 20 years, the number of accidents has increased by 20 percent. The trucking industry is governed by federal laws and regulations and the determination of liability in truck accidents comes from these laws. Truck accidents can be the fault of the driver, the owner of the truck, the person leasing the truck, the manufacturer of the truck, tires or parts of the vehicle, or even the loader of the cargo.If you have been injured in a truck accident and are looking to hold the negligent party responsible, team up with a San Jose truck accident attorney from Shea & Shea – A Professional Law Corporation. Call our firm today at (408) 292-2434 so we can get started working for you.
Truck Drivers Face Several Common Dangers
Many people tend to think driver fatigue is the No. 1 cause of truck accidents due to the long hours and distances drivers work without breaks. But it is not the leading cause; drug use is. Drug use, making up about 26 percent of accidents, can affect drivers’ reaction time.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), other causes of truck accidents include:
- Speeding: This makes up about 23 percent of accidents and the excessive force that comes with speeding makes these accidents more fatal.
- Unfamiliarity with the territory: Twenty-two percent of accidents are caused by drivers being unfamiliar with the roads they are driving on.
- Over-the-counter medication: While illicit and prescription drugs are the leading cause, over-the-counter medications contribute to about 17 percent of truck accidents.
- Failure to check blind spots: About 14 percent of accidents are caused by truck drivers not properly checking their blind spots before making a lane change or turn.
- Driver fatigue: This used to be thought of as the No. 1 cause, but driver fatigue causes only about 13 percent of truck accidents.
- Simple safety measures: Nine percent of truck accidents are caused by drivers failing to perform safety measures like using a turn signal.
- Distracted driving: About 8 percent of truck accidents involve a driver who was not paying attention to the road.
- Difficulty maneuvering trucks: Large trucks are hard to maneuver and many drivers underestimate the level of difficulty, which leads to 7 percent of truck accidents.
- Road rage: Driving aggressively causes about 7 percent of truck accidents.
Truck accidents can be the fault of many parties. The truck driver and other nearby drivers seem to cause most accidents with other motor vehicles. While there are occasions wherein the manufacturer or owner of the truck is at fault, the main causes come from the people on the road. Drivers of smaller vehicles cause accidents by driving in blind spots, tailgating or cutting lanes in front of trucks. Truck driver errors include driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol and speeding.
Were You Recently Involved In A Truck Accident? Call Us Today.
Do you need a lawyer for your truck accident case in San Jose, California? If you have suffered from an injury due to a truck accident, a San Jose truck accident attorney from Shea & Shea – A Professional Law Corporation can help. Our firm represents injured victims throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and we offer a free case evaluation, so call us today at (408) 292-2434 to discuss the accident and your injuries. You can also email us to learn more about the compensation you may deserve from the negligent party or parties.