The practice of Mr. O’Connor at Shea and Shea consists of the handling of catastrophic personal injury cases and appellate advocacy. The personal injury aspect of his practice includes actively litigating cases on behalf of injured parties who have suffered traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and other major and serious injuries which have affected and undermined the client’s physical and emotional well being.
Many of the cases handled at Shea and Shea are significant in terms of monetary damages and high profile in the legal community. When such cases result in appeal, in either federal or state court, the firm possesses the expertise and ability to handle the matter themselves and Mr. O’Connor handles all aspects of the appeal including brief writing and oral argument.
Prior to joining Shea and Shea in 2001, Mr. O’Connor was a partner in the law firm of Clapp, Moroney, Bellagamba and Vucinich where he practiced law upon his graduation from law school in 1986 until his departure in November 2001. While at Clapp, Moroney, Mr. O’Connor specialized in the representation of insurance companies and those they insure in a variety of litigation contexts including suits directly against the insurance companies themselves. He has found that the extensive experience obtained representing insured defendants in litigated matters, including working for and in conjunction with insurance companies, has proved invaluable to his current practice with Shea and Shea in which the client is the injured party.
Areas of Practice
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Appellate Advocacy
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- CITY OF MORGAN HILL, Plaintiff, v. ERNEST C. BROWN et al., Defendants, Cross-complainants, and Respondents; MARGARET A. SELTZER, Defendant, Cross-defendant, and Appellant (71 Cal. App. 4th 1114; 84 Cal. Rptr. 2d 361 1999)
- McCormack vs. Pacific Gas & Electric Company, 6th Appellate District, H035217 (Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 2624 2013)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, 2007 – 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- American Association for Justice
- Western Trial Lawyers Association
Past Employment Positions
- Clapp, Moroney, Bellagamba and Vucinich, Partner