Whenever you set out on the road, the risk of a car crash looms. It is an unfortunate reality that every California driver must face, but your standard commute can become a catastrophe in the blink of an eye. When these car accidents happen, the damage can be significant, and how you choose to respond can greatly impact your financial future. When another driver’s negligence results in an injury to you or a loved one, you have the option to seek compensation. At Shea & Shea – A Professional Law Corporation, our San Jose car accident lawyer works with San Jose CA motorists as they take measures to put their lives back on track after an accident. For a free evaluation of your motor vehicle accident claim in San Jose, call us today at (408) 292-2434.
Types of Vehicle Accidents in San Jose CA
- Single Car Accident: These accidents involve only one vehicle, usually run-off-road collisions, rollovers, and collisions with fallen debris.
- Rear-End Car Collisions: This kind of car collision is common, especially during rush hour and traffic jams. Driver inattention and tailgating are the usual culprits, and while damages are usually minor, personal injury can still happen.
- Head-On Collisions: These are usually fatal car accidents and shouldn’t be disregarded. To avoid these accidents, follow traffic laws – stay in your lane, don’t overspeed, and be mindful of others on the road. Avoid drunk driving, driving under the influence is never a good thing either.
- Side Impact Collision: These accidents usually occur in parking lots and intersections, involving either or both sides of the vehicle. Injuries can be grave depending on what area of the vehicle is hit.
- Vehicle Rollover: These car accidents usually seen in action movies happen every so often and usually involve overspeeding or drunk drivers.
- Back Injuries: The lower back is most commonly injured during car accidents. Herniated discs, fractures, and strains are the usual injuries. Because the lower back is central to mobility, it is important that treatment is started right away.
Most Common Injuries from San Jose Car Accident
Personal injuries from car accidents range from minor to fatal and severely life-changing. Medical bills are just the tip of the iceberg. Rehabilitation, return to work -not to mention the emotional trauma to you and your loved ones; these are the long term effects of car accidents.
- Head and Neck Injuries: Rear-end accidents usually cause this kind of injury. This may involve whiplash injuries, which can potentially be fatal. Whiplash happens when the neck is suddenly jerked back and forth during an accident. Other severe injuries are cervical dislocations or damaged discs in the neck. These can cause excruciating pain but sometimes can be asymptomatic at first, which is why some don’t even bother seeking medical assistance. Don’t be one of them.
- Broken Bones: Dislocations and fractures can occur with car accidents, with some requiring open surgery and, unfortunately, amputation. Unlike whiplash injuries, fractures are readily apparent after the accident and are treated right away.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Symptoms may not be apparent right away and can range from something as simple as headaches, dizziness, and blurring of vision, to more serious symptoms of changes in behavior and increased sleeping time.
What to Do if you get into a Car Accident in San Jose
- Don’t drive away. Never drive away from the scene of an accident, even minor ones. That could incriminate you, even if you were innocent, to begin with.
- Protect yourself and others. To prevent another San Jose car accident, make sure the area around you is well-lit. Keep your flashers on or set up flares, and make sure you have a flashlight in your car. Do not remove anything from the scene as well.
- Call the police. It’s always a good idea to call the police, even if no one sustained a personal injury. A police report is necessary for filing claims from insurance companies. Involved vehicles should remain where they are unless they are causing traffic. In this case, make sure to take photos before moving.
- Give the police an accurate statement. Make sure to report the facts thoroughly. If there are things you don’t know or can’t remember, make sure to tell the officer, too. Speculations, guesses, and theories are not allowed – you’re basically giving the police a free case to file against you.
- Exchange information. While this is the job of the police officer, make sure to obtain the name, telephone number, and address of all those involved in the car accident. Get insurance information of all the vehicles involved in the accident, and if there are witnesses, get their information since your injury attorney might contact them. If the police respond to the accident, they will give a police report number to everyone involved in the San Jose car accident.
- Inform your insurance company as soon as possible. Find out if medical bills are also covered by your insurance company.
- Seek medical attention. No matter how fine you feel, make sure to pay the doctor a visit. Remember that personal injury from a car collision is not always immediately apparent. If you feel dizzy or lose consciousness after a collision, you may have suffered from a concussion and should see a doctor right away.
- Keep your files together. Make sure all your accident-related documents are kept together. This includes receipts, contact information, and your insurance claim number.
- Consult your personal injury lawyer in San Jose. One of the most important things to do after an accident is to contact your personal injury attorney. Insurance companies would usually take your statement right after an accident, and it’s imperative that you’ve already had some legal advice prior. At Shea&Shea, our team of personal injury attorneys can give you advice on how to get adequate compensation for your injuries.
Our Car Accident Attorneys San Jose Can Navigate An Array Of Accident Claims
The aftermath of a car accident — even a simple fender bender — is rarely simple. Filing a personal injury claim with an insurance company can be a complex process, and if you are ill-prepared, you may not reach the settlement that you deserve.
OUR CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN ASSIST WITH SEVERAL TYPES OF ACCIDENTS, INCLUDING:
- Auto accidents
- Mass casualty incidents (MCI), including accidents involving buses, helicopters, airplanes and boats
- Collisions with commercial vehicles
- Accidents with large trucks
- Pedestrians hit by motor vehicles
- Accidents involving motorcycles and bicycles
After a car accident, the guidance of an experienced injury attorney can go a long way. Our law firm will work with car accident victims to ensure that your claim is complete and accurate with ample documentation to strengthen your case. At Shea & Shea – A Professional Law Corporation, our team is committed to obtaining maximum compensation for every client we assist, contact us for a free consultation.
Take Action — Call Our Firm Now
A car accident can leave you facing an uncertain future, but it does not have to. Don’t let lost wages and medical bills haunt you during your recovery. Our law firm can help you get justice. Our personal injury lawyers can offer you a free, comprehensive case evaluation, so call us today at (408) 292-2434. You can also contact us at our San Francisco bay area office via email or by visiting our Contact page to get a free consultation.