San Jose, California, does not have beaches, but it is near many bodies of water where people enjoy relaxing on boats and other commercial and personal watercraft. People use boats for various reasons, including relaxation, racing competitierty damage, and wrongful death are not uncommon.
Acquiring a boat accident lawyer in San Jose isons, transportation, and fishing. Unfortunately, boating accidents resulting in significant injuries, prop a must if you or a loved one sustains injuries or perishes as the result of a boating accident due to someone else’s negligence. At Shea & Shea, our law firm has decades of experience navigating complex California laws governing boating claims.
Our legal team will ensure that your accident receives a proper investigation so that we can collect evidence to support your claim. We know how to pursue compensation for boating injuries by settlement and verdict, so there is no need to search online for “boat accident lawyer near me.” Shea & Shea is on your side.
Types of Boating Accident Claims
Unlike a car accident, a boating collision can create unique circumstances that make it challenging to pursue compensation for personal injuries or property damage. Boating accidents are less likely to have witnesses, and the vessels can sink and potentially destroy evidence. State and federal maritime laws can further complicate matters.
Boating accidents can include multiple types of watercraft:
- Commercial Freighters
- Cruise Ships
- Personal Watercraft (Jet Skis, WaveRunner, etc.)
- Watercraft Against a Swimmer
According to U.S. Coast Guard Statistics, California has the most boating accidents, resulting in over $7 million in damages in 2019 alone. Here are examples of the most common types of boating accidents:
- Navigating in Heavy Weather: Though modern forecasts and sea navigation equipment better predict the weather, boaters must use judgment when operating watercraft in unfavorable weather conditions. Failing to do so can be deadly.
- Making Contact With Propellers: Motorboats with external propellers can cause significant injuries to swimmers and smaller vessels if their operators ignore their surroundings.
- Hitting a Wave or Wake at High Speed: Operating a boat against a big wave or boat-made wake requires careful navigation at a reasonable speed. Speeding can cause the operator to lose control of the vessel and cause injury to others.
- Failing to Carry Safety Equipment on Board: The boat must have safety equipment on board, such as life jackets, fire extinguishers, and visual signaling devices in case of an emergency.
- Overloading the Vessel: Putting too much luggage, equipment, or people on board will weigh down the watercraft. Too much weight creates instability while boating, which increases the risk of injury.
- Colliding With Another Boat or Fixed Object: Boat operators must stay vigilant while boating to monitor their speed, position, and environment. Failing to identify other boats or inanimate objects like drifting debris is dangerous.
- Operating at High Speed: Boating at fast speeds is not unlike speeding on land in a car. The higher the speed, the greater the chance of having a devastating collision.
What Legal Recourse Is Available for Boating Injuries
Most boat and watercraft accidents occur because the vessels’ operators are negligent or inattentive. However, issues with the boat’s design, equipment, maintenance, and safety devices can also cause a life-altering incident.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your boat accident, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit to pursue financial compensation for personal injuries or property damage. In some cases, boaters who operate their watercraft with gross negligence or while under the influence may be eligible for criminal charges for the incident.
Your injuries must have a direct link to the incident to build a successful personal injury case for a boat accident. Eyewitness testimonies, investigations, pictures, and law enforcement reports will help prove your damages result from someone else’s negligence.
At Shea & Shea, we have ample experience handling major injury cases. Aside from understanding complex boating and maritime laws, we are also passionate about helping accident victims when tragedy strikes.
Get Real Help With Boating Accident Claims
Boating and engaging in water sports pose significant risks to severe bodily injuries and possible death. Boat accidents can lead to paraplegia, traumatic brain injury, bone fractures, spinal cord injury, and more. Working with an experienced boat accident lawyer in San Jose will dramatically increase your likelihood of receiving full compensation for your damages.
Shea & Shea has years of experience helping clients with spinal and brain injuries pursue damages against negligent parties as a personal injury law firm. We have over 50 years of success representing our clients against individuals, manufacturers, and corporations.
If you sustain injuries due to a boating accident, a boat injury attorney from our law firm can help you pursue damages from the incident. We have a vast knowledge of California boating and personal injury laws. We will use all of our legal experience and resources to help you recover from the accident.
Whether you are a maritime worker or a victim of someone else’s boating negligence, you have a right to pursue legal action against liable parties. You can file a civil claim for personal injury damages or death due to a boat accident under federal regulations within three years of the incident. However, some California jurisdictions have a two-year statute of limitations.
Shea & Shea has the skills to help you build your case against the negligent party. Our team will help you pursue compensation for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
- Wrongful Death
- Loss of Love or Companionship
We’re Here to Help
If you have injuries due to a boating accident, do not waste precious time searching online for a “boat accident attorney near me.” Instead, put your trust in Shea & Shea, a law firm with a reputation for having compassion toward personal injury victims and a proven track record for successfully recovering millions of dollars in damages for clients.
A boat accident lawyer in San Jose from our firm will be by your side when the unimaginable occurs. If you or a loved one has injuries from a boating incident, do not hesitate to contact our office at 408-716-1601 to request a free consultation.