A catastrophic injury permanently alters the life of the victim and their families. A catastrophe is defined as something that causes tragic damage or intense suffering. Symptoms and a decreased quality of life can result from trauma injuries, which are severe injuries that cause long-term disability.
This page can help you determine the best legal approach if you have suffered a catastrophic injury, either as a victim or family member.
Here is a brief explanation of what constitutes a catastrophic injury before discussing how to fight injustice in personal injury cases.
Catastrophic Injury: What Is It?
Catastrophic personal injuries are distinguished by the extent of harm they inflict and the fact that they last a lifetime.
Catastrophic personal injuries may severely impair a person’s capacity to do even the most fundamental duties in the long run. As a result of these injuries, many people are forced to abandon their jobs or depend on others for care due to the irreversible physical impairment they suffer.
Catastrophic injuries often fall into three categories:
- Injuries to the body, such as amputations or the loss of limb function, may have long-term consequences.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other types of trauma that affect a person’s mental state are examples of cognitive injuries.
- An injury to a person’s spinal cord permanently impairs their movement.
As a general guideline, the following injuries are considered catastrophic:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) may vary from relatively moderate injuries like concussions to severe traumas that result in long-term damage to the brain. If you’ve been in a significant automobile or motor vehicle accident, you’re more than likely to suffer a traumatic brain injury.
- Severe Burns: Thermal fire burns may cause lifelong tissue damage and impaired mobility.
- Becoming blind or deaf is a life-altering experience that forces you to adapt to a whole new way of life and responsibilities.
- SCIs (Spinal Cord Injuries) is another devastating injury that may occur. Victims may endure partial or complete paralysis depending on where and how severe the damage is. Even if they can regain some mobility, functionality, and feelings in the future, they will still have to deal with plenty of difficulties in the present. Auto accidents, sports injuries, slips & falls, and acts of aggression are the most prevalent causes of spinal cord damage.
Many additional injuries may be catastrophic, such as fractures or broken bones (including skull fractures), concussions, repetitive motion injuries, and foot and ankle fractures.
Any injury that
- It removes you from the workforce permanently,
- It alters your personality,
- causing you to suffer from chronic pain, or
- It impairs your capacity to move or function independently.
- It is likely to be classified as catastrophic.
Steps to Take After a Catastrophic Accident
In addition to crippling pain, immobility, mental disorientation, sadness, and anxiety, a person who has suffered a catastrophic accident may also deal with terrible financial consequences.
If you’ve been seriously injured, you should do several things right away. If you follow these easy, concrete actions, you won’t have to endure more than is necessary.
Your Future Well-Being
Catastrophic injuries may be life-threatening if not treated right away. A patient who has suffered a catastrophic injury should seek treatment in an appropriately trained trauma hospital. A rehabilitation facility is the greatest thing you can do for your future health and well-being upon release from the hospital.
Evidence Is The Key
Legal protection is available for you if someone else’s misconduct or carelessness caused your catastrophic damage.
The legal procedure may be greatly aided if you can remember to take mental or physical notes of what is happening during an accident. When it comes time to develop your case, having documentation that backs up your injuries claims is priceless. Your clothes, car, helmet, or any other product you feel was responsible for your injuries are all examples of items you should attempt to save. Evidence preservation is critical in situations involving automobile faults (such as airbags, seatbacks, and seat belts).
In light of this, we may now provide our next piece of advice:
Contact A Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Right Away
You may rely on a catastrophic injury lawyer to preserve your rights against the negligent party. A lawyer will handle this sort of lawsuit with the requisite resources to keep any relevant evidence safe and secure.
The assistance of a catastrophic injury lawyer is critical in ensuring that you are not subjected to undue suffering because of the negligence of another.
Recover compensation for your pain and suffering and guarantee that no one else has to suffer the same fate by bringing a lawsuit against the person or entity responsible.
The Role Of A Catastrophic Personal Injury Lawyer
If you look at it from the outside, catastrophic injury cases may seem to be no different from other kinds of damage claims. After all, both include physical harm, as well as economic and non-economic losses, which are comparable. A catastrophic injury lawyer is extremely necessary due to the seriousness of your situation and their expertise in managing such cases.
Catastrophic injuries bring a new layer of complexity to the lives of sufferers, necessitating the hiring of caregivers and the employment of injury attorneys to ensure that victims are not forced to face needless hardships.
Attorneys specializing in catastrophic injury cases ensure their clients are treated fairly and compensated for their losses.
How To Find An Attorney For Serious Injuries in Oakland
Catastrophic injury law firms represent people whose lives have been changed by catastrophic and fatal accidents. They prepare and present thoroughly researched claims for damages, including long-term medical care, physical and vocational rehabilitation, pain and suffering, and lost wages. These attorneys will have dealt with many instances involving diverse companies, drivers, manufacturers, and other parties liable for the life-altering accident.
Following a catastrophic injury, working with a legal professional will ensure that you know exactly what to do next because they know how the catastrophic injury law works.
A catastrophic injury law firm is familiar with the ramifications of severe injuries and can help you take control of your situation if the unimaginable occurs. Seek quick representation from a legal firm with a demonstrated record of success in representing this kind of life-altering damage victims.
Catastrophic injury lawyers in Oakland may assist you in regaining some sense of control over your life after this life-altering experience.