The unfortunate reality of traumatic brain injuries is that they often bring with them permanent health consequences. TBIs (traumatic brain injuries) can change the memory, make relationships difficult, and alter an individual’s personality permanently.
It’s estimated that around two and a half million individuals suffer a traumatic brain injury every single year in America and more than five million Americans live with a disability that was caused by a TBI.
Traumatic brain injuries can limit a San Francisco resident’s ability to care for his or herself, make them unable to return to the workforce, and subject them to mental and emotional suffering.
To make matters worse, many victims of TBI forego proper medical testing and treatments due to the high cost of health care. Don’t gamble with your health in this way. If you have suffered a brain injury through no fault of your own, then you should not be liable to pay for your recovery.
If you have recently been involved in an accident or sustained a blow to the head and suspect that you might have sustained a TBI, get legal and medical assistance immediately. You need to care for your physical health as well as your financial health, which is why you should seek out a skilled TBI doctor and San Francisco brain injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries That San Francisco Residents Suffer From
Here are some of the most common causes of brain injuries in San Francisco:
- Auto accidents
- Product dysfunctioning or being unsafe to use
- A blow to the head or neck
- Striking the head while falling (this is one of the most common causes of TBIs in both children and adults)
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals
- Explosive blasts
- Being hit by a car or cyclist
As you can see from the list, TBIs can affect anyone at any age. Regardless of your hobbies or occupation, a traumatic brain injury has the potential to happen to you and permanently alter your life.
Common Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Now that you are aware of common traumatic brain injury causes, here are some of the most obvious symptoms of traumatic brain injuries. Please be aware that TBIs may not exhibit symptoms for days or even weeks. This, however, does not mean that you haven’t sustained a TBI and you should still be proactively seeking medical care.
- Headaches or migraines
- Balance difficulties
- Ringing in the ears
- Disorientation and confusion
- Concentration or memory loss
- Sensitivity to light
- Sensitivity to sound
- Altered vision
- Mood swings, anxiety, depression, altered cognitive state
- Sudden personality or behavioral changes
If you begin to exhibit any of these symptoms following an accident where you sustained a blow to the head, you need to see a doctor immediately. If neglected, TBIs can result in a life permanently altered or even death.
What Should Victims of Traumatic Brain Injuries in San Francisco Do?
As a traumatic brain injury victim, it’s easy to feel at a loss for what to do following your accident. But time is of the essence when you’ve just suffered such a traumatic injury, so here are several steps that will help you following your accident.
This brief list gives you some directional tips to help you recover legally, financially, and medically following a TBI.
- See a doctor: first things first, take care of your physical health by seeing a doctor as soon as you possibly can. Not only will a medical examination ensure that you aren’t in immediate danger, it will also serve as a record of your condition following your accident, which will serve as evidence if you decide to employ a brain injury lawyer. This brings us to:
- Get in touch with a San Francisco brain injury lawyer: when it comes to TBIs, you need a skilled, brain injury lawyer by your side, fighting for your rights as a victim of a traumatic brain injury. Refrain from contacting a general lawyer and instead find a reliable brain injury lawyer in San Francisco. Brain injury lawyers have experience working with victims and fighting for the financial and legal justice of those who have suffered a TBI.
- Prioritize your health: take the time you need to recover and rest following your traumatic brain injury. As the victim of such a terrible injury, it’s essential to follow doctor’s orders and prioritize recovery. This is another reason why it’s so important to work with a traumatic brain injury lawyer. Your lawyer will be able to attend to the legal side of things while you focus on your health.
Brain Injury Claims
Brain injury claims can be difficult to prove and are often even more difficult to get justice for. This is why working with a seasoned brain injury lawyer is essential to the success of your legal claims. Being slow to take legal action or receive medical care following a traumatic brain injury could be detrimental to your brain injury claim.
If you even suspect that you have sustained a brain injury, get in touch with a San Francisco based brain injury attorney immediately.
Contact a San Francisco Brain Injury Lawyer
Here at Shea & Shea in San Francisco, we have experience representing victims of TBIs and helping them fight for justice following their injury. Our legal firm has a specific focus on brain injury law and representing those who have sustained brain injuries.
We are passionate about justice for each of our clients and have dedicated our legal services to serving brain injury victims since the 1960s.
We don’t want San Francisco residents to have to bear the full financial burden of medical costs that they would never have had if not for the negligence or violence of another. Don’t let your finances, career, or physical health become a casualty to someone else, contact a reliable brain injury lawyer in San Francisco today.
Our brain injury law firm is ready to lend our legal expertise and empathy to you during this difficult time. Contact Shea & Shea today to set up your first brain injury consultation.
Areas We Serve
San Jose | San Francisco | San Diego | Santa Clara | Oakland | Napa | Fremont | San Mateo | Contra Costa | Alameda | Solano | Sonoma | Marin